January 29, 2021
You will have received prior messages alerting you to an important Update on Security Enhancements for Office 365. This change may affect how you log into email using your Western email account when using an email application (such as Outlook, Thunderbird, or mobile apps on phones or tablets).
What to expect on Tuesday February 2 after 8am EST:
As of February 2, 2021, at 8am EST, access to Office 365 applications (inclusive of email) will only be supported on Office versions 2016, 2019, Office 365 Pro Plus or the latest versions of Thunderbird and most mobile clients. Browser-based access to Office 365 applications, inclusive of email, will not be affected (https://myoffice.uwo.ca)
Accessing email using tools other than a browser will require a protocol called Modern Authentication. The most recent Outlook, Thunderbird, and mobile email clients will support the use of this protocol. It is important to note that this change will require interaction on your part. This change may affect your account immediately or it may take some time for the change to take affect. Some possible scenarios:
- Apple iOS users may get an “email is blocked” message. To resolve, simply remove and re-add your mail account to get it to work. This will not delete your email, only remove and re-add your profile on your device.
- Current versions (2016, 2019 or Office Pro Plus) of Office on desktops may require you to log out and back in to access applications (inclusive of email)
What to do in advance if you haven’t already:
- If you have not already done so, check that your email application is compatible with Modern Authentication. Email Compatibility information is here: (https://wts.uwo.ca/office_365/email/email_client_compatibility.html)
- If you are not using a current version of Office (2016, 2019 or Office Pro Plus), you will need to upgrade. Go to https://myoffice.uwo.ca to download the most current version of Office for your Computer.
- If you need assistance with upgrading your email application, or your desktop version of Office, please contact your local IT support person, or the Western Technology Services Helpdesk (https://wts.uwo.ca/helpdesk/)
- If you would like more information about this change, see the recent news story posted here: https://wts.uwo.ca/news/cyber_security_initiatives.html
- If you have questions in advance of this change, send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need assistance on February 2:
Due to an anticipated higher volume of support calls, you may need to wait for assistance if you need it. It is important to note that access to Office 365 through an internet browser will not be affected. If your preferred email client is not working, you can access your Western email here until resolved: https://myoffice.uwo.ca
For assistance contact your local IT support person or the Western Technology Services Help Desk: (https://wts.uwo.ca/helpdesk/)
WTS Helpdesk Hours:
- Mondays - Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and from 6:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Published on and maintained in Cascade.