Skype for Business
Skype for Business is a free instant messaging program included with Office 365. It was formerly known as Microsoft Lync.
Please note: There is a difference between Skype and Skype for Business.
Skype is the consumer-based version of the program (with less functionality than Skype for Business) that you use with your own personal Microsoft login information to connect with other Skype users around the world.
Skype for Business is the program included with Office 365 that allows you to use your Western username and password to connect with others at Western. To connect with other Skype for Business members outside of Western, you must find out if the organization that you are trying to connect with allows calls from outside of their organization. Please note that connecting outside of Western is intermittent and depends on destination accessibility.
- fully integrated with your Office 365 calendar and the Western Directory
- built in voice and video calling with other Western faculty and staff (microphone and/or webcam are required)
- screen sharing & online meeting tools
- send instant messages, share desktops, files and presentations and see meeting participants and availability of others
- add external contacts (Windows users only)
- more information can be found at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/video-what-is-skype-for-business-3a21eca4-434d-41f1-ab06-3d4a268573b7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
Who can use it?
- Faculty & Staff
How do I get it?
Windows users: Skype for Business is included with the Microsoft Office download for Windows and can be found on the app store for Android and iOS users.
1. Go to https://myoffice.uwo.ca and login.
2. Click the Gear icon (in the top right corner).
3. Click on Office 365 (under Your App Settings).
4. Click on Software (in the bottom middle of the screen).
5. Click on Skype for Business (on the left).
6. Click on Install Skype for Business.
Published on and maintained in Cascade CMS.